Do you have a place that you hold close? Leave your heart somewhere and want a reminder of the beautiful experiences of your world?
I’m happy to offer limited commission availability for landscapes this year. To reserve your commission, please use the contact form below, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many people enjoy having images of their home, childhood home, vacation spaces or other places that they find meaningful – and original paintings make incredible, heartfelt gifts for our loved ones. Please allow 6-8 week lead time for your gifts, although rush service may be available for an additional fee.
If you’re looking for a last-minute gift, please send a quick note to email@example.com with the details and to confirm availability.
Pricing varies based on the size of the finished work as well as the complexity of the subject. Generally, commissions are priced at 20% higher than my standard pricing of work of the same size to account for the additional time and resources required to complete commissions.
The minimum size for commissioned work is 12×12 inches, and this size starts at $175, plus tax and shipping.
If you’d like to get started, this is what you can expect:
- First, you’ll choose your subject and provide the original photographic reference. Please be aware that all photographs must be the intellectual property of the person requesting commission. From start to finish, you’ll be appraised of the process every step of the way – and have a fun library of images of your work in progress as it comes together.
- We will work together to find an appropriate size and canvas type for your needs. All paintings are created on gallery wrapped canvas and are shipped unframed. We can choose a solid complimentary color for the edges and it’s recommended that the piece be hung or framed upon receipt to protect the ‘bones’ of the canvas from warping.
- Upon review of proposal, a 50% non-refundable deposit is required to hold your space and to purchase accessory materials if required. Estimated completion time for commissions for March 2019 is 4-6 weeks.
- Once the painting has commenced, you’ll receive first an image of the initial sketch for review – with the ability to revise at that time. You’ll also receive updates as work continues and throughout the process, however, these are not review & revision updates – rather they are for reference to see how your painting comes together.
- When the work is finished, the balance of the invoice is due, and any shipping costs are the responsibility of the buyer. Your work will ship immediately, with appropriate insurance and tracking upon completion.
Have more questions? See below for some common questions and answers about commissioning a project with me.
Ready to get started? Use this handy form to let me know what you’re thinking – and we will schedule a time to get started on your original artwork.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. What does it cost to commission a painting?
Generally, commissioned pieces are priced slightly higher than comparable pieces, because of the additional time and effort to consult, and to create a very specific work. There are no surprises and you’ll be appraised of progress throughout the process.
Q. Why should I work with you to commission an artwork?
I strive for excellent relationships to create community, and have a proven track record of translating a vision to a work of art. Working in true collaboration is a significant part of the valuable partnership and a part of my values as an artist to build community around the healing and uplifting properties of my work and of the creative process in general.
Q. How long does it take to commission an artwork?
The time varies depending on the size and complexity of the subject. I’m able to accept a limited number of commissions to ensure the quality and integrity of the work. In general, from approval of initial sketch, it takes 4-6 weeks to complete. Rush service can be arranged for an additional fee.
Q. How is payment handled for a commissioned artwork?
A 50% non-refundable deposit is required before the work begins. The remaining balance is due upon delivery or before shipping. For clients local to Northeast Ohio, I offer delivery service at no charge.
Q. Will you work from my photograph?
Yes, however, I’ll also determine additional reference material for the creative design of any commissioned work. You will always be involved in the development of the idea and you will have the opportunity to approve initial sketches and the direction of the final artwork.
Q. Will you duplicate an existing piece?
Yes, to some extent, however keep in mind that artists desire to maintain the integrity of the unique quality of each original piece they create. When dealing with original artworks, there are never EXACT duplicates, however, it may be possible to mirror some elements of a previous work. Your commission will always be one of a kind, and duplicates and prints will not be created from your piece, unless specified otherwise and agreed upon by all parties.